installation issues on ubuntu 14.04

i have problems when installing both bundles (deploy+tomcat, jboss, tomcat) on latest LTS ubuntu (14.04). i do need a bundle install, nothing else.

it's too long to explain technical stuffs since i have tried for days and i have pages of logs and error messages. to make it simple : nothing works. i guess the tutorials are no longer up to date with version 6.3.7. i have to find out what's wrong by myself.

so my question is simple : in your opinion, which bundle version is the simplest to install ? and which bundle version have a "recently tested" installation process ?

i accept to spend many days finding the specific installation process by myself, on my platform, but i don't accept wasting my time on something that have not been proprely tested, and that could potentially never work.

Comments

Submitted by jeremy.jacquier-roux on Thu, 11/27/2014 - 16:43

Hello,

Could you please be more precise about what's going wrong? Which tutorial did you follow?

I've just made a quick test with this version on my ubuntu 14.04 and I didn't encounter any issue.

wget http://download.forge.ow2.org/bonita/BonitaBPMCommunity-6.3.7-Tomcat-6.0.37.zip
unzip BonitaBPMCommunity-6.3.7-Tomcat-6.0.37.zip
BonitaBPMCommunity-6.3.7-Tomcat-6.0.37/bin/startup.sh
tail -f BonitaBPMCommunity-6.3.7-Tomcat-6.0.37/logs/bonita.2014-11-27.log

When I saw the line "INFOS: Initialization of Bonita Engine done! ( took 23020ms)" I can open a browser and login using default install/install on http://127.0.0.1:8080/bonita

I use this version of Java :

java -version
java version "1.7.0_65"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.3) (7u71-2.5.3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode

For your information a new version is already available : 6.3.8

Regards,

Jérémy

Submitted by ming.chau on Thu, 11/27/2014 - 16:50
Submitted by ming.chau on Thu, 11/27/2014 - 16:52

Tomcat bundle is indeed the easiest one

2 answers

+1
This one is the BEST answer!

I found my answers. here is my installation process. it is 100% platform specific, but it works, and it is adaptable. note that the missing step in the online tutorials are described in RUNNING.txt.

Bonita BPM - Tomcat bundle on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

1) Debian paquets (keywords) : apache2, mysql, phpmyadmin, libmysql-java

2) Database configuration : 2.1) new table 'bonita' for user 'bonita' and passwd 'bpm' with all rights granted on this new table

3) Unpack the Tomcat bundle : unzip BonitaBPMCommunity-6.3.7-Tomcat-6.0.37.zip and go to BonitaBPMCommunity-6.3.7-Tomcat-6.0.37 directory

4) Change default credentials (passwords) 4.1) gvim bonita/client/platform/conf/platform-tenant-config.properties 4.2) gvim bonita/server/platform/conf/bonita-platform.properties 4.3) gvim bonita/server/platform/tenant-template/conf/bonita-server.properties

5) Environment variables : gvim bin/setenv.sh 5.1) Tomcat path setting export CATALINA_HOME="/home/user/BonitaBPMCommunity-6.3.7-Tomcat-6.0.37" export CATALINA_BASE=$CATALINA_HOME 5.2) Java path setting export JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64" 5.3) Database vendor DB_OPTS="-Dsysprop.bonita.db.vendor=mysql"

6) Add Database driver for Java ln -s /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java-5.1.28.jar lib/bonita/mysql.jar

7) Switch from H2 to mySQL 7.1) gvim conf/bitronix-resources.properties 7.2) gvim conf/Catalina/localhost/bonita.xml

8) Remove H2 8.1) gvim conf/server.xml 8.2) Rename h2 files mv bonita-jboss-h2-mbean-1.0.0.jar bonita-jboss-h2-mbean-1.0.0.jar.remove mv bonita-tomcat-h2-listener-1.0.1.jar bonita-tomcat-h2-listener-1.0.1.jar.remove mv h2-1.3.170.jar h2-1.3.170.jar.remove

9) mySQL specific configuration : gvim /etc/mysql/my.cnf max_allowed_packet = 32M

10) Startup : in bin/ directory ./startup.sh

11) Check 11.1) In logs/ directory tail -f catalina.out good news look like INFOS: Server startup in 10363 ms 11.2) Load url -> http://localhost:8080/bonita/ If get error message 'Unable to get default tenant ID', then delete all formerly created tables in bonita with phpmyadmin 11.3) Login with install user

Comments

Submitted by antoine.mottier on Tue, 12/02/2014 - 15:05

Thanks a lot for sharing your installation guidelines.

Can you let me know what part was not well documented in official documentation?

I have tried 4 installation process : 1) The Bonita studio with its default engine+portal, and I realised that an independant installation of engine+portal was necessary (the database was empty at each restart). 2) The Tomcat bundle. The first attempt was a total mess :) 3) The Deploy bundle, with apt-get install Tomcat. My Tomcat installation and configuration was a total faillure. 4) The JBoss bundle. There was too many configuration files to modify, located in too many directories that have same name, but different locations... finally, it was a total mess and JBoss did not worked properly. 5) Finally, I went back to Tomcat bundle and I did it thanks to the experience of faillures with Deploy and JBoss.

There are a few important things I can point out : 1) The installation guides are not written as linear and self contained processes. The reader has to switch between at least 3 tabs in firefox : bundle installation guide, database installation guide, final steps, bonita forum, linux forums, ubuntu documentation. As client server systems never work at first install/config attempt, one always has to roll back at least once. This is precisely the moment when the scattering of information in many places (firefox tabs and RUNNING.txt) generates confusion. 2) The guides do not suit well to people that are not comfortable with advanced system administration and web-application concepts. I am just a C/Fortran developper, familiar with Linux. I can feel that too many informations are hidden between the lines. For instance, the guides do not always provide the full list of system log files to watch at each configuration step. This kind of situation is troublesome for someone who is not aware of Tomcat or JBoss architecture, functionnalities and paradigms. I type commands that I don't really understand, so I need feedbacks such as error logs, ps aux, phpmyadmin, etc... 3) Furthermore, the scattering of information does not help web-app dummies who need a one-screen global vision, in order to understand a bit more what is being done (where am I, where do I go, how many steps).

In my initial post, I was quite upset :) and I needed someone to tell me, "yes, you can because I have just done it easily".

Anyway, in my opinion, web-app dummies working in small businesses like me, do not care about the choice of a database system. I install the bundle on localhost, and later, maybe, I will put that in a VM, but I will never try to integrate Bonita into the core of my enterprise information system since its low level system management is outsourced... Only the big boss can ask things to root. In other words, there are too many useless options in bundle packages. For example, if mySQL was inside the bundle and mandatory, the H2 removal would be unnecessary and the installation would be much simpler.

Comments

Submitted by antoine.mottier on Wed, 12/03/2014 - 12:56

Thanks a lot for this very value feedback!

I'll try to improve the documentation based on your suggestions especially add sections about troubleshooting and what you should find in log files.

Documentation is split across several pages mostly because we support a combination of several components: - OS (3) - JVM (2) - Java application server (3) - RDBMS (4) That live us with 72 possible installation scenario (more accurately 60 if we assume that OpenJDK is not use on Windows platform).

It's why we have those documentation pages that try to cover full installation of a Bonita Platform including JVM + application server + RDBMS configuration. Complexity of Linux + Tomcat setup come from: * Tomcat packaging on Linux (exploded in several folders) * Tomcat that require extra library (Bitronix) as it's not a "full" Java application server * Bonita product it self: as it can be deployed in such different environment configuration requires important customization to adapt.

Parallel to documentation improvement effort I'll also try to find out good option to script and automatize setup.

Notifications