Drop of Support for Weblogic in 7.5.0+ ?

Why was support for Weblogic Application Server dropped in BOS 7.5.0+ ?

1 answer

+1

No-one was using it?

let me rephrase that, no-commercial users were using it. And as they are the ones that pay the bills why would Bonitasoft keep supporting something that they're not earning money from?

It's probably a simple commercial decision.

regards
Seán

PS: While you may not like the answer, it gives the correct answer, please mark as resolved.

Comments

Submitted by Dibyajit.Roy on Sat, 07/22/2017 - 16:40

Hi Guys

I work for a Client that heavily uses Oracle Stack.
Fortunately they have chosen Bonitasoft as the BPM tool.

We have Bonita 7.3.3 running on Weblogic 12c.
But if we upgrade to 7.5 + version, could we still keep using Weblogic ?
Is there any official announcement from them ?

Thanks

Submitted by Sean McP on Sat, 07/22/2017 - 20:55

No - you cannot use 7.5 + on weblogic.

Yes the official notification is in the 7.5 release notes,

Regards

Submitted by antoine.mottier on Mon, 07/24/2017 - 09:23

Note that support of WebLogic has been dropped only because it's no longer officially tested.

If you managed to run Bonita 7.3.3 on WebLogic 12c I think you should be able to do the same with version 7.5. Main change regarding Bonita deployment is that since Bonita 7.4 Bonita no longer use the Bonita home folder (no more file system dependency). So you need to push the configuration to the database using the tooling provided. Note that you should at least using WebLogic version 12.1.3 as Bonita 7.5 requires JRE 8 and WebLogic 12.1.3 is the first version to officially support Java 8.

I'm not able to find any changes that can prevent you from installing Bonita 7.5 on WebLogic so my recommendation would be to give it a try and eventually open an issue if you face anything preventing you from deploying on WebLogic.

Regards

Submitted by Dibyajit.Roy on Mon, 07/24/2017 - 09:38

Thanks for your answer Antoine.

Currently , as I experienced, there are very few people in Bonitasoft who have knowledge about Weblogic.
When we upgraded to 7.3.3 from 7.1.2 , we faced many issues and not much help from Bonitasoft.
It took weeks before the new version was successfully installed.

But the currently version of 7.3.3 has the Bonita Home removed and all the configurations are stored in Database.
As you said, it wont be much of a problem to migrate to 7.5 .

But if a weblogic error comes , maybe we will not have Bonitasoft experts to help us as they would be discontinuing support.

Its a decision that we need to take about continuing with Bonitasoft with Weblogic.

Submitted by antoine.mottier on Mon, 07/24/2017 - 10:29

If you can consider switching to Apache Tomcat or Red Hat WildFly it's probably the easiest option.

But if you try on WebLogic 12c I can try to help you because I'm quite interested in identifying all the challenges that may arise when deploying on WebLogic.

Submitted by Dibyajit.Roy on Mon, 07/24/2017 - 10:39

thanks.

We dont have any plans of upgrading anytime soon. But maybe in a few months.

I will keep in touch with you in case I come across any such issues in Weblogic .

Thanks

Submitted by tpridge on Mon, 07/24/2017 - 14:12

We have Bonita 7.1.5 running on Weblogic 12c. There are plans to upgrade to Bonita 7.5 in the next few months. What are some issues faced with upgrading from Bonita 7.1.x to 7.3+ or 7.4+ ?

Submitted by Dibyajit.Roy on Mon, 07/24/2017 - 14:22

Hello.
I would recommend you that do the upgrade on a Test server before you do it in the Production environment.

Well, Bonita has a Migration tool, that does everything . Nothing much to do here. Make sure that the credentials to connect to database is correct. There were a few minor issues in connection to the Schema Db.
Most of the up gradation went smooth
But we faced major problems in the Weblogic start and stop scripts.
You need to make sure that ./startWeblogic.sh and ./stopWeblogic scripts are configured properly.
Most of our efforts went in correcting the scripts.
Also there is a reference to a tmp path in the scripts.
Make sure that path is changed to a proper folder location.
Else Bonita Portal would create temporary scripts in the /tmp
When you restart weblogic, /tmp is cleared. Hence all config files would be lost.

We had to map to a different folder. By default, it takes /tmp

Regards

Notifications