Bonita 6.3.3 - SubProcess - Make New Diagram

Hi there,

Bonita Studio 6.3.3, Java 1.7.0.67, Windows 8.1

what’s the best way of creating a New Diagram when creating a process?

Duplicate isn’t the correct answer as you end up having to renumber and manually delete various things…

It would be nice if “Extract Sub-process” offered the ability to “Extract Sub-process to New Diagram…”

Many thanks and best regards
Seán

Hello,
What do you mean by “creating a new diagram” ? Because in the studio, the button “new diagram” is available.

So, if you mean “create a diagram from an existing diagram” in order to do a sub process, this function doesn’t exist as it. Sure, you can select a set of activity, then copy-paste them in a new diagram, but that will not copy process variable. And how this can be possible ? Who knows which variables you want to copy in the new-sub-process diagram ?

Actually, for my point of view, create a sub process is not an automatic way. It’s part of the conception : in general, you know the sub process at the beginning of you conception. So if at one moment, you make a new process and you figure out one part of this process is already made before, then you want to create a sub process.
Then, after selecting the activity, which data do you want to set in the sub process ? And then, what about the mapping ?
I know some tool propose this creation in an automatic way, but in every time, you have after to check everything. The basic function copy all variables and map all variables - then you have to clean them.

So, in conclusion:

• you want to copy activity and variables ? Use the duplicate. But sure you have to clean a lot of stuff
  • else create a new diagram, copy the activity : but you have to create again the variable.

In both case, you have to do the mapping.

Yes, I know, but nothing like you ask for exist for the moment in the studio.

Hi Pierre,

yes I sort of agree with you - it is a double edged sword, but I would like the option of doing both.

Create Subprocess “in current diagram” from selected activities, and

Create Subprocess “in New diagram” from selected activities.

They both need Mapping of variables so your argument re cleanup doesn’t actually change anything here. It is required for both.

Copying and pasting individual elements is error prone, well I find it so.

Your concepts are valid, however so are mine, and in the real world both exist… it would be nice to have both options. And it would make things much easier for me…

thanks and regards
Seán