How to open a third party software?

In some interactive tasks, I need to open third party softwares in order to the user complete the task. What is the best way to do it? What should I look for?

See these posts for some ideas on how to do it -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/916925/how-to-launch-an-exe-from-web-page-asp-net
specifically the answer from chenatu answered Nov 13 '15 at 9:11

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5422093/run-a-program-from-a-local-webpage
specifically the answer from oprimus001 answered Jan 18 '12 at 13:39 and
community wiki by Vadim Rapp

As to returning data from the other program, that’s a lot tougher and may need you to talk to the product vendor otherwise it will have to be done manually.

regards
Seán

PS: As this reply offers an answer your question, and if you like it, please Mark UP and/or as Resolved.

Sorry for keeping on this, but I still have troubles that I can’t overcome.

I did register my application, but I’m not able to make the bonita’s link widget to work.
I tried a button, a link, but it just doesn’t work. Even if I try with some application that I know it is well registered like notepad or regedit.

Can someone give me a tip on how to do this please?

Thank you!

Luan

For example what third application programs?

Do you expect data to be returned?

Thank you for you answer!

I’m building some workflows for Petroleum Geology, so, in fact, I need to open a many third party programs. Some are in Java, some are not.

Most cases are like this: I need to check if the input file is right for the task, if it is, then I launch the third application and the user do some work. When he is done, he tells the bonita application and the workflow just continues. It is possible that I have some response from the other program, but not always.

So I should do it in the forms using something like a button?
Another doubt in the same topic: I have to check a file to see if it is ok to be used as an entry for the software. I have an validator in Java for that. I can use an upload widget to get the file, but how do I connect to that java code and pass that file path. First I tought of connectors, but I need it to happen in the middle of the task, not at start or at the end.

Sorry for abusing of your help Seán!