Using a BDO based pool variable in the UI-designer

Hi,

I’m moving from using the 6.x forms to the UI-designer.
With the REST api I can succesfully access pool variables (… caseVariable…) and I can succesfully access business variables.

As I understand business variables are stored in the business data database and I wanted to use the DBO in the pool variables section to keep it outside this database. I created a Person object and added a variable p_person of type Person to the pool.

I tried to access this variable in the UI designer using the caseVariable syntax of the REST api.
(…/API/bpm/caseVariable/{{task.caseId}}/p_person)

I receive a JSON message as below, but I do not succeed in accessing the person member values (like person.surname of type TEXT).

JSON message:
{ “case_id”: “34”, “name”: “p_person”, “description”: “”, “type”: “com.tutorial.model.Person”, “value”: “com.tutorial.model.Person@6840bdda” }

My question is if I do something wrong or if BDO not is intented to use on the pool level.
(or both:)

Thanks.

Hi,

REST API to get process variables value (../API/bpm/caseVariable/[caseId]/[variableName]) does not support complex data type (i.e. Java classes).

I would recommend to reference them as business variables. If you don’t want them to be stored in business data database I can only recommend to use an operation to delete them once you no longer need to access them.

Hi Antoine,

Thanks for your answer. This coincides with what I experienced.
I will consider your suggestion to use an operation to clean the business data.

For now, I will work with simple types in the pool data section.

Thanks.